Twin Cities Divorce Attorney

Picking a lawyer is a lot like picking a doctor -- it is important to choose a dedicated and experienced professional. My name is Sid Brennan and I have been practicing law in the Twin Cities area for almost 30 years. Very few legal matters are more emotionally draining and difficult than divorce. Important decisions about property, debts, and the children have to be made when going through a divorce. These matters are almost never easy to resolve. I am upfront with my clients about what can be done for them and what the likely outcome of their divorce will be. contact my office to see how I can help you with your family law problems.

Minneapolis Divorce Lawyer

The first thing I do for a divorce client is to prepare them for what to expect. Being open and honest is important as it can protect against the possibility of something going wrong and having the court make a mistake in your divorce.

I have experience representing family law clients in the legal areas involving marital dissolution, including:

  • Divorce -- Minnesota is a no-fault state, which means you do not show fault in order to file. A divorce is granted based on an irretrievable breakdown in the marriage relationship. Often, a divorce will go through an initial case management conference (ICMC) which allows for a more hands-on approach with the judge.
  • Property and Debt Division -- Minnesota requires that property and debt be divided according to principles of equitable distribution.
  • Child custody, support, and visitation -- custody is determined according to the best interests of the child. Child support is based on specific guidelines which take into account income, custody arrangements, and other factors. In Hennepin County, couples can go through an early neutral evaluation where 2 independent child custody evaluators will evaluate the case and provide a resolution for the parties.
  • Spousal support -- spousal support, or alimony, is generally not awarded unless the marriage was of long duration and one of the spouses has insufficient means of support.

Working with you to resolve your problems

If you need legal advice, contact my office to arrange for your free initial consultation. I can be reached by phone at 952.546.2455.